Search This Blog

Thursday 14 April 2016

The twelfth step in my A-Z of quirky ancestor antics - L is for love in the graveyard

Leo and Nellie (Ellen) NORTHCOTE
Married in 1930


Back in the late 1920s my paternal grandparents met at the Field of Mars cemetery in Sydney. My grandmother, Ellen KENEALLY, had been visiting her father's grave. Also, my grandfather, Leo NORTHCOTE, had been visiting his mother's grave. The two graves were just a few steps away from each other. A year or so later, they were married in 1930.

Ellen died in 1985 and Leo died in 1970. They are now both together again, lying in a grave where they first met.





For the full story of this meeting, see one of my earlier blogposts:

Love in the graveyard from 24 April 2010

2 comments:

  1. Now that's got to be an unusual start to a relationship...no wonder you're into genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of my all-time favourite family stories.

    ReplyDelete