Search This Blog

Sunday 6 March 2016

Rock throwing, seafaring, gamekeeping, Purgatory-working great-great grandfathers

Over the last few years, I've made some interesting discoveries about some of my great-great grandfathers, my 2nd great grandfathers. I'm fortunate to know the names of all of my eight great-great grandfathers and a little about the lives of seven of them. My great-great grandparents were:


  1. William Northcote
  2. Thomas Riley
  3. John Butler
  4. William Kennelley
  5. Joseph Walters
  6. Patrick Fleming
  7. George Kingsbury
  8. Thomas Carrick


Here are a few stories about them ...

Thomas Riley or Reily

One of my great-great grandfathers, Thomas Reily, was charged with assaulting a British soldier in southern Ireland in 1834 and was transported to Australian for his sins.
Read more about him here: Read all about it! An exciting but violent Irish discovery

Patrick Fleming

Another one of my great-great grandfathers, Patrick Fleming, worked in one of the Prymont quarries in the 1860s and 1870s. From my research so far, I think he worked in the quarry known as Purgatory, rather than the other two Pyrmont quarries that were known as Paradise and Hell Hole.
Read more about him here: Death in a Pyrmont quarry

George Kingsbury

Yet another one of my great-great grandfathers, George Kingsbury, was a gamekeeper in Flintshire in Wales.


Joseph Walters

My Scottish great-great grandfather, Joseph Walters, was from Glasgow. He was a mariner who arrived in Dublin during the 1860s.


No comments:

Post a Comment