Search This Blog

Sunday 27 July 2014

10 steps to tracking down the BUTLERs and FITZPATRICKs in and around Kilmihil, County Clare, Ireland

Some of my BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors migrated from Kilmihil and surrounding areas back in the late 1800s. Here are a few photos of the BUTLER family.


Margaret BUTLER, born about 1855 in County Clare, Ireland

Mary BUTLER (nee FITZPATRICK), mother of Margaret BUTLER


Some BUTLER siblings in Australia, 1935


The following few blogposts are records of my visit to County Clare in July 2014. Although I didn't have a lot of time to explore the area, I enjoyed walking in the footsteps of some of my ancestors and imagining their lives in this area of western Ireland when they lived and worked here in the mid to late 1800s.

Here are some of the areas near Kilmihil that appear to be related to my ancestors:


  • the town of Kilmihil, County Clare, Ireland
  • Cragg, near Kilmihil (I think this is known as a "townland")
  • Inchicronan
  • Craggaknock
  • Doolough


Access the following blogposts to find out what I got up to on my County Clare visit in July 2014:

Step 1) To Crusheen and Inchicrocan (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 2) My first mistake: Cragg near Tulla (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 3) Revisiting the town of Kilmihil, County Clare (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 4) Revisiting the new church at Kilmihil, County Clare (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 5) From Kilmihil to Creegh and back again, via Leitrim Graveyard  (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 6) And, finally to Cragg, near Kilmihil (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 7) The old church at Kilmihil (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 8) From Kilmihil to Craggaknock (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 9) Clohanes burial ground near Craggaknock (re BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors)
Step 10) Questions remaining about my BUTLER and FITZPATRICK ancestors


No comments:

Post a Comment